'His', 'hers', 'mine', 'yours', 'ours' and 'theirs' are possessive pronouns. They are used to show that something belongs to someone.
Possessive pronouns are used after nouns, usually at the end of a sentence.
This bag is mine.
(The possessive pronoun 'mine' is used after the noun 'bag'.)
This is his pen.
This pen is his.
This is his bicycle.
This bicycle is his.
This is her hairband.
This hairband is hers.
That is her doll.
That doll is hers.
This is my computer.
This computer is mine.
This is your chair.
This chair is yours.
That is your table.
That table is yours.
Those are our racquets.
Those racquets are ours.
These are their magazines.
These magazines are theirs.
Compare the pronouns, possessive adjectives and possessive pronouns below.
|Pronouns||Possessive adjectives||Possessive pronouns|
A. Choose the correct answers.
1) This is my flashlight. This flashlight is (my, mine).
2) Those are his posters. Those posters are (he, his)
3) That is her ring. That ring is (her, hers).
4) These are our pet fish. These pet fish are (our, ours).
5) Those are his pictures. Those pictures are (he, his).
6) These are their watches. These watches are (they, theirs).
7) This is your desk. This desk is (yours, your).
8) Those are their trucks. Those trucks are (theirs, their).
9) These are her flowers. These flowers are (hers, her).
10) This is my belt. This belt is (my, mine).
B. Choose the correct answers.
1) This is (my, mine) newspaper. This newspaper is (my, mine).
2) Those are (he, his) pets. Those pets are (he, his)
3) That is (her, hers) lipstick. That lipstick is (her, hers).
4) These are (our, ours) clocks. These clocks are (our, ours).
5) Those are (he, his) toys. Those toys are (he, his).
6) These are (their, theirs) fruits. These fruits are (they, theirs).
7) This is (your, yours) garden. This garden is (yours, your).
8) Those are (their, theirs) horses. Those horses are (theirs, their).
9) These are (her, hers) drinks. These drinks are (hers, her).
10) This is (my, mine) necktie. This necktie is (my, mine).
1) mine 2) his 3) hers 4) ours 5) his 6) theirs 7) yours 8) theirs 9) hers 10) mine
1) my, mine 2) his, his 3) her, hers 4) our, ours 5) his, his 6) their, theirs 7) your, yours 8) their, theirs 9) her, hers 10) my, mine