A Collective Noun is the name used for a collection of people, animals or things.
|People 人物||Animals 动物||Things 物品|
|a band of musicians 一队乐团||a troop of lions 一群狮子||a collection of stamps 邮票集|
|a crew of sailors 一群水手||a pack of wolves 一群狼||a library of books 书籍集|
|a choir of singers 一班合唱团||a gaggle of geese 一群鹅||a bunch of grapes 一串葡萄|
Collective nouns are used with singular verbs.
An army of soldiers is marching in the field.
A troop of lions is attacking an antelope.
A choir of singers is performing a Christmas carol on the stage.
A gang of theives was arrested by the police last night.
Xianzheng gave her girlfriend a bouquet of flowers on Valentine’s Day.
The farmer rears a gaggle of geese on his farm.
I bought a bunch of grapes from the market.
Study the following lists of collective nouns.
|People 人物||Animals 动物||Things 物品|
|a gang of workmen (工人)||a nest / colony / an army of ants (蚂蚁)||a group / archipelago of islands 一群岛|
|a company of actors (演员)||a swarm / hive of bees (蜜蜂)||a ring of keys 一串钥匙|
|a troupe of dancers / performers (舞蹈者/表演者)||a herd of antelopes (羚羊)||a string of pearls 一串珍珠|
|a cast / company of actors (演员)||a flock of birds (鸟)||a set of china 一套瓷器|
|a party of friends (朋友)||a herd of buffaloes (水牛)||a bundle of rags 一扎破布|
|a school of clerks (书记)||a culture of bacteria (细菌)||a wad of money 一沓钞票|
|a gang of laborers (劳工)||a quiver of cobras (眼镜蛇)||a galaxy / constellation of stars 一个银河系/星座里的星星|
|a staff of employees (雇员)||a fall of lambs (小绵羊)||a range of mountains 一列山|
|a band / an orchestra of musicians (音乐家)||a herd of cattle (牛)||a flight of airplanes 机群|
|a panel of experts (专家)||a pack of dogs (狗)||a set / kit of tools 一套工具|
|a tribe of natives (土著)||a drove of donkeys (驴子)||a packet of cigarettes 一包香烟|
|a troop of boy scouts (童子军)||a brood of chickens (鸡)||a bundle of sticks 一捆柴火棍儿|
|a team of players (球员/演奏者)||a shoal of fish (鱼)||a flight of steps 一段楼梯|
|a posse of policemen / sheriffs (男警察 / 县治安官)||a cote of doves (鸽子)||a pack of cards 一副纸牌|
|a class of pupils (学生)||a swarm of insects (昆虫)||a clutch of eggs 一窝蛋|
|a company of girl guides (女童子军)||a litter of kittens (小猫)||a crate of fruit 一箱水果|
|a blast of hunters (猎人)||a herd of elephants (大象)||a suite of furniture 一套家具|
|a blush of boys (男孩)||a troop / mop of kangaroos (袋鼠)||a fleet / fortilla of ships 船队|
|a crew of sailors (水手)||a leap of leopards (豹)||a collection of stamps 邮票集|
|a staff of servants (仆人)||a pride / troop of lions (狮子)||a suit of clothes 一套服装|
|a choir of singers (歌手)||a plague of locusts (蝗虫)||a heap / pile of trash 一堆垃圾|
|an eloquence of lawyers (律师)||a pit / nest / slither of snakes (蛇)||a collection of pictures 图画集|
|an audience of listeners (听众)||a tribe / troop of monkeys (猴子)||a sheaf of corn 一捆玉蜀黍|
|an illusion of magicians (魔术师)||a team / herd of oxen (公牛)||a cluster of diamonds 钻石团|
|a crowd of onlookers / spectators (旁观者 / 观众)||a parliment of owls (猫头鹰)||a bale of cotton 一大捆棉花|
|a band of robbers (盗贼)||a litter of puppies (小狗)||a clump / thicket / grove of trees 树丛|
|a staff of teachers (教师)||a nest of rabbits (兔子)||a fleet of cars 车队|
|a gang / den of thieves (贼)||a flock of sheep (绵羊)||a batch of bread 一批面包|
|a flock of tourists (游客)||a stack of hay 一堆干草|
|a coven of witches (巫婆)||a network of computers 一个网路的电脑|
|a gaggle of women (妇女)||a tuft of grass 一丛草|
|a band of men (男人)||a bouquet / bunch of flowers 一束花|
|a bevy / galaxy of beauties (美人)||a library of books 书籍集|
|a host of angels (天使)||a heap / pile of stones 一堆石头|
|a board of directors (董事)||a dossier of documents 一个档案的文件|
|a bevy of girls / ladies (女孩 / 女士)||a bunch of bananas 一串香蕉|
|a congregation of worshippers (拜神者)||a bunch of grapes 一串葡萄|
|a bench of magistrates (地方执法官)||a quiver of arrows 一箭筒的箭|
|a horde of savages (未开化的人)||a chest of drawers 五斗柜|
|a party of politicians (政治家)||a hedge of bushes 一道灌木树篱|
|a crowd of people (人)|
|a squad / army / troop of soldiers (军人)|
A. Choose the right collective nouns to fill in the blanks.
galaxy, bevy, band, tribe, gaggle, staff, party, suit, wad, pack
1. a ____________ of wolves
2. a ____________ of beauties
3. a ____________ of clothes
4. a ____________ of musicians
5. a ____________ of geese
6. a ____________ of stars
7. a ____________ of money
8. a ____________ of employees
9. a ____________ of natives
10. a ____________ of friends
B. Choose the correct answers.
1. a ( panel, board ) of experts
2. a ( set, bale ) of tools
3. a ( troop, leap ) of leopards
4. a ( brood, culture ) of bacteria
5. a ( company, eloquence ) of actors
6. a ( team, flock ) of sheep
7. a ( batch, network ) of computers
8. a ( drove, troop ) of donkeys
9. a ( board, panel ) of directors
10. a ( pack, library ) of books
C. Fill in the blanks with the right collective nouns.
1. A few tourists are feeding a ____________ of monkeys in the botanical garden.
2. The hen is sitting on a ____________ of eggs.
3. A ____________ of politicians is having a meeting in the conference room.
4. A ____________ of dancers is dancing gracefully on the stage.
5. My cat gave birth to a ____________ of kittens last week.
6. Mr. Anderson gave his wife a ____________ of pearls as a birthday present.
7. The teller passed a ____________ of coins to the customer.
8. Mrs. Crusoe found a ____________ of mice in her attic.
9. The farmers are upset because a ____________ of locusts destroyed their crops.
10. My dad ordered a new ____________ of furniture for our living room last Christmas.
D. Choose the correct answers.
1. A few dolphins are chasing a ( class, school ) of fish under the sea.
2. A ( team, congregation ) of basketball players are warming themselves up before a match.
3. In a story that Wendy read, a ( host, board ) of angels came to the rescue of the earthquake victims.
4. The wealthy captain owns a ( flight, fleet ) of ships.
5. A few garbage men are clearing a ( set, pile ) of trash at the roadside.
6. I saw a ( gaggle, company ) of colorful parrots at the zoo last week.
7. While escaping from the house owner, the burglar tripped and fell down a ( flight, stack ) of steps.
8. Mrs. Ding bought a ( bunch, suit) of flowers from the florist’s.
9. There is a ( group, range ) of mountains a couple of miles away from the town.
10. Mr. Richard handed a ( wad, ring ) of keys to his daughter.
1.pack 2.bevy 3.suit 4.band 5.gaggle 6.galaxy 7.audience 8.staff 9.tribe 10.party
1.panel 2.set 3.leap 4.culture 5.company 6.flock 7.network 8.drove 9.board 10.library
1.troop/tribe 2.clutch 3.party 4.troupe 5.litter 6.string 7.rouleau 8.nest 9.plague 10.suite
1.school 2.team 3.host 4.fleet 5.pile 6.company 7.flight 8.bunch 9.range 10.ring