Moving into a new house

- by Wesly Kong, SMK Taman Tunku

We were all very excited and happy when my father announced that we were going to move to a new house located in a new housing estate. My father had wished to buy a new house for a long time. After saving his money for a few years, he managed to save enough to make a down payment on the house. He also succeeded in getting a home loan from a bank. Now his dream had come true.

It was a beautiful Friday morning. That day happened to be a public holiday. We started moving our belongings to the new house. My father hired a big lorry to transport our things. I was surprised to see the large amount of things that we had. It took 5 trips to complete the entire transportation process, even though our family only consisted of four members - my parents, my brother and I. we transported the fragile items and some of the finer electrical appliances using our own car.

We had a hectic morning loading and unloading the things. Our new house was a double-storey terrace house. There were four bedrooms, a living room, three bathrooms, a kitchen, a porch and a parking space in front. There was also a small backyard. As our house was a corner lot, we had extra space beside our house. We were thankful that it was much more spacious and comfortable when compared to our previous single-storey house, which was rented.

At noon, we went to a restaurant to have our lunch, since the kitchen of our house was not ready to be used yet. After our meal, we came home and started to unpack and arrange our things. The transportation workers had placed the heavier furniture in the places where we wanted them to be. So we no longer need to arrange them. What was left for us to do was to open the boxes that we packed our belongings into and arrange them in their proper places.

My parents took the master bedroom upstairs while my brother and I each took one of the two back bedrooms upstairs. The extra bedroom downstairs was made into a guest room. I was glad to have a bedroom all to myself. In the previous house, I had to share a bedroom with my brother.

Mother suggested that we arrange the things in the kitchen first as she needed it to prepare dinner for us later. We cooperated with one another to make the job easier. By evening, the kitchen and all our bedrooms were ready and we decided to call it a day. Mother prepared a proper meal for us using her brand new kitchen. After having my dinner and bath, I adjourned to my bedroom and lay down on my bed to have a rest. I could smell the new paint in my room. As I was exhausted, I fell asleep soon.

The next morning, we continued to work with the guest room and living room. The finishing touch was to hang up the wall pictures, curtains and other wall decorations.

We were glad that the house-moving process went on smoothly. Through the process, my brother and I learnt about the importance of cooperation and helping one another in whatever we do. All of us hoped to have a better life in this new home.